Past and Future

Maddogmedic left a comment on my last post, which led me to his blog, where I met Ellie. I've been kind of lost in my own head these last few years, losing connections that were vital when this first began. At one time I read twenty or so accounts of peoples lives, people who are passionate about being EMT's Paramedics and firefighters. Good people all, and I miss them. Check my blogroll and see for yourself if you are so inclined.

I'll be finishing up here over the next month or two, I've been on light duty for a while now, the back injury from 2009 finally caught up with me – couldn't lift an eleven year old kid having a seizure off a baseball field. I'm not doing anybody any good continuing the charade, it's time to go, just takes a while working through city government, the pension board and departmental policies.

It's kind of funny, looking back. I once thought working the "busy" trucks was a great idea. Now that I've stuck my foot into the pond of post fire department employment I realize how doing thirty-eight hour shifts with thirty plus calls for 22 years probably didn't prepare me for the future. It wasn't very much fun in the present, either, but I did squeak a couple of books out of the experience.

Instead of studying, taking courses and taking advantage of the opportunities for professional development during down time I was running like a fool and sleeping when I could. Home life nearly fell apart, if not for the back injury and the slow-down that it necessitated i just may well have been a lonely, single man living in one of the hi-rises that I have waxed on poetically about on this very blog.

Anyway, enough about me, there is a world of people waiting to be discovered here in blogland, and I think Ellie's place is a good place to start.

• Old Jake says:

Hey!!!  Been there done that and went through every emotion that there possibly be.  If anyday you want to sit down and talk about what happens I would be more than happy to see you whenever .  You are a the beginning of an entire new stage of your life that is going to be GREAT if you recognise that you have friends out there and you have the talent to do things you never thought you can do!   Remember you have done things already that VERY FEW have done and seen.  You are already ahead of the game.
    I'm always available.
    Leo

• maddogmedic says:

Good stuff, Mr. Morse.

I'd like to interview you while you're at EMS Today. Contact me via my blog or email and let me know if you've got an hour to spare this weekend.
    Cheers,
    –maddog

• BH says:

The fact that you're not only allowed but essentially required to work 38 straight is an obscenity and serves no purpose other than to shorten careers.  Not even the "evil" private ambulance industry pulls that crap, and those guys don't have a union like you do that is, allegedly, protecting you from unsafe working conditions.  Never mind the fact that the nursing industry proved a long time ago that medication errors increase dramatically after 12-16 hours on duty- and they're not even choosing the med and dosage.

It really was a bit much, BH, mostly my own delusional thoughts of invincibilty caused the problems, but there were times I was ordered to work the 38's.

• pfgrenier says:

Hi Mike,
    Hope your retirement plans go well, I'm a little past a year and it seems surreal. Maybe we catch a coffee where one of us doesn't get a run.
    Peter

Hello Pete, great to hear from you, we'll get that coffee if we don't get palumboed. I hope retirement is working well for you, I'm a bit worried but things will probably work out.

background image Blogger Img

Michael Morse

JEMS Talk: Google Hangout

Recent Posts
three The Right to Continue to Die September 26, 2014
First Day Back September 17, 2014
Eyes September 3, 2014
Comments
Mr618
Eyes
Once again, Michael, a simple, caring action probably helped more than any medical intervention.
2014-09-26 00:35:16
Pat Blackman
First Day Back
Michael, you have not lost your touch. :-) PS. Last time I rode in one of your "cadillacs", I was a pretty good girl. I only vomited a little bit. The blood stayed in a contained area. Aren't you proud of me? LOL. PS I thanked Stephanie and the other EMT too. Take care Buddy.…
2014-09-23 06:43:08
Mike Chisholm
First Day Back
Another great post Capt. Thanks for the laughs
2014-09-18 10:58:16
Mr618
“Ladder Co. 5 on Scene, expidite EMS”
Maybe, just maybe, Michael, the editors decided to give you the credit you deserve, and were unwilling to give yourself.
2014-09-07 20:31:15
Garry Collins
Survival
Order of priority; Self Fellow firefighter(s) Other disciplines (Cops etc.) Joe public Our gear Public property. That’s how the list is going in. Sometimes, in the heat of the moment, and depending on circumstances it may change, but not that often.
2014-08-31 19:03:08

Uniform Stories

Visit Uniform Stories

Responding $3.99

wordpress visitor counter
March 2013
M T W T F S S
« Feb   Apr »
 123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

FireEMS Blogs eNewsletter

Sign-up to receive our free monthly eNewsletter

LATEST EMS NEWS