Shows’ Over

She spends hours at the gym, had her nails done, a pedicure, her hair is perfect and she spent a few hours getting ready for a fun night out dancing in Providence with her friends. She is beautiful, and looks fantastic, and people notice, and she doesn’t mind, as long as they are not creepy about it.

Some moron crashed into their car at two in the morning spoiling a great night. She had a few drinks, but was far from intoxicated, and wasn’t driving anyway. She was hurt in the accident, and needed to be seen at the ER for some stitches and x-rays.

Sometimes, all we can do for our patients is make them feel better during transport. The high tech equipment and highly trained EMT was reduced to performing one of the simplest, kindest and most ancient of all medical techniques.

I covered her with a blanket. Her anxiety level dropped in half. The beautiful body that she showed off earlier in the night, and did so with class and style was no longer on display.

• Lynda M O says:

Thanks for your understanding of your specific point; amazing for me to hear you say that – most men donít get it at all… ever. Namaste

• Natalie says:

I heart you for moments like this, L.T. I adore that someone in a position of relative power over others in times of extreme vulnerability can be composed of such raw sweetness and kindness.

A beautiful wife and two equally beautiful daughters provides a man with some valuable insight into a mysterious world!

• Mike says:

Further information on said insight would be greatly appreciated by this confused young male reader.

In all seriousness, its amazing how simple things like making a pt comfortable or actually talking to them can be more helpful than drugs, 12 leads, and other pre-hospital equipment.

Keep up the good work sir.

• Heddwch says:

From all the women in the world…bless you and thank you. Namaste, indeed.

• Pat B says:

I have found that often, simply holding the hand of an elderly patient brings their blood pressure and heartrate down dramatically. Simple human kindness should never be underestimated in terms of its value in providing care.

background image Blogger Img

Michael Morse

JEMS Talk: Google Hangout

Recent Posts
fire 2 Campfire Tour 2014 October 18, 2014
triage ER Survival October 10, 2014
loving it October 7, 2014
baby Taking it with you October 6, 2014
Comments
Andrew
Campfire Tour 2014
We've already had this discussion, but I like the Grateful Dead version of Bobby McGee better than Janis'.
2014-10-19 19:49:31
john
Ebola in Providence?
I worked a 911 system where i told all my new emt. if the pt. has a fever vomiting and diarrhea they are contagious til proven different
2014-10-04 13:05:02
Mr618
Eyes
Once again, Michael, a simple, caring action probably helped more than any medical intervention.
2014-09-26 00:35:16
Pat Blackman
First Day Back
Michael, you have not lost your touch. :-) PS. Last time I rode in one of your "cadillacs", I was a pretty good girl. I only vomited a little bit. The blood stayed in a contained area. Aren't you proud of me? LOL. PS I thanked Stephanie and the other EMT too. Take care Buddy.…
2014-09-23 06:43:08

123
45678910
11121314151617
18192021222324
25262728293031

FireEMS Blogs eNewsletter

Sign-up to receive our free monthly eNewsletter

LATEST EMS NEWS