7 Reasons Why NOT to Arm EMS
1) EMS is hard enough. Carrying a firearm (and maintaining proper training) while on duty will only make it harder.
2) The public we serve needs to know we are neutral. Arming even one EMS provider ruins that status and puts all of us at risk.
3) A firearm will not help in close quarter assaults.
4) The overwhelming majority of attacks on EMS providers are not deadly. Many would escalate with a gun in the mix.
5) Two hands on the patient = no hands on the gun.
6) Arming EMS providers will not make us less prone to being attacked. The people who attack us now are the same ones who attack armed police officers â€” with deadly results.
7) â€œMedic 1, stage for police…oh, never mind, you guys have guns, advance to the sceneâ€¦â€
The rest of the story is here…